A pleasant sunny day can be ruined when the scorching heat behind your chest calls your attention. Heartburn -rightly termed, as a hearty party of the previous night can ruin couple of parties in the coming weekend. Many grabs the over the counter drugs and get rid of heartburn and even the thought of it. This easily available solution does not only stop us from bothering about heartburn, but also blocks us from seeing where our health is leading. If taking antacid is unavoidable, opting for home remedies and treating heartburn naturally will reduce the effect on the health. I prefer these easily available home remedies to cure heartburn over antacids as these are also otherwise beneficial for health.
1. Asafoetida. Asafoetida is an Indian spice commonly used for cooking. As Indian food is generally spicy, adding asafoetida to help digestion tells a lot about its effectiveness on reducing heartburn.
Take ¼ tsp of asafoetida in ¼ tsp clarified butter and slightly fry it. Take this mixture followed by a glass of warm water.
You can also apply this mixture in the navel instead.
2. Ajwain (carom, ajowan, or bishop’s weed). Slightly roast some ajwain with black salt. Have that followed by a glass of warm water.
3. Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Baking soda acts as a natural antacid neutralising the acid formed in the stomach.
Take 1 tsp sodium bicarbonate in a glass of water for relief from heartburn. Acid can be used to attack acid in the stomach in the following form -take one teaspoon sodium bicarbonate, few drops of lemon juice and some black salt in a glass of water and have it. This treatment should be used temporarily and one should not have more than 3 tsp of baking soda in a day.
4. Ginger. Ginger is immensely helpful for digestion and also for treating acid reflux naturally. Crush ½ inch ginger and add it to a glass of warm water. Keep it soaked for 15 minutes to half an hour and drink it.
5. Aloe vera. The cooling effect of aloe vera juice not only soothes the stomach but is also a natural cure to heartburn.
6. Banana. Banana is a natural antacid. People with severe acid reflux problem should eat one banana daily to keep heartburn at bay as it also helps in constipation.
7. Food with high folic acid. The more colour you include in your fruits and vegetables the more folic acid you consume. Include beans, spinach, apple etc in your diet to reduce chances of acid reflux. Also add fibrous food to your diet so that you do not have constipation.
8. Drinking 4 to 5 glasses of water in empty stomach helps in reducing heartburn. One should also reduce the intake of tea and coffee for a while and stick to drinking more water. Water therapy is the best natural way of taking care of acid reflux rather than opting for instant relief.
9. Apple cider vinegar. Apple cider vinegar can also give quick relief to the acid reflux. Just make sure not to increase the intake.
Keeping your body light and active is the most effective way of combating heartburn. Taking enough water, reducing intake of tea, coffee, alcohol and spicy food will expedite the cure of heartburn. Include fibre in your food, balance an unhealthy food by following up with healthier food, reduce smoking and drinking, and you are good to go for the next party. And if you still have heartburn, don’t lose your heart, the best home remedies are up your sleeves!